Pages

Random thoughts for random reasons!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bad Writing, Bad Plot, Bad All Around. Who's is it?? Plus- Music!

First, music. I was watching the ever popular show Glee and the male A capella group was performing Katy Perry's Teenage Dream. And Darren Criss blew me away!!

All I can say is, he makes a wonderful addition to the cast. You should totally go check out his videos on YouTube. He even played Harry in a Very Potter Musical!

Harry Potter, Glee, Disney, and singing. Wow. :)

I've also had the song Love Like Woe by The Ready Set stuck in my head. But, hey, who hasn't? ;)

Okay, I know you're in suspense- I'll end it right now, don't worry.

The bad writer is me.

Now don't go around spreading rumors that I have low self-esteem or anything. I don't mean my writing now, because that's fantabulous. ;)

No, I'm talking about my writing from 5th grade. I recently found a book I made full of short stories. I made this book a few years ago and didn't alter any of the stories I had written for fifth grade English class. Reading them now kind of shamed me. And made me burst out laughing. Both, really.

Let me give you an example.
When a boy in one of my stories was admitted to the hospital, the doctor said, "I'll call room service and have them ready a room."
What is this, a five-star hotel? Or, even, I guess, a one-star hotel? A hotel of any type? No, it's supposed to be a hospital. *facepalm*

And then when the boy went blind from food poisoning for no explained reason, the doctor said, "No doubt about it, he's blind. I'm really sorry. We did all we could," after the boy had spent one night of monitoring at the hospital. There were no diagnoses, treatments, or anything.

To make it worse, when the dad said, "What do we do now?" the doctor replied, "Well, I can give you a list of places where you can get a guide dog."

I'm telling you, the inner me is screaming it's head off right now. And dying of embarrassment.

And that wasn't even a school assignment!!

Did I mention he got food poisoning from eating a plum? And he was ten years old? What ten year old boy goes and gets a plum after school? Wouldn't they eat chips or, if it has to be healthy, an apple or banana?

Oh, and did I mention that the story was about his sister, who can read minds? I honestly don't know where I was going with this whole thing, food poisoning and mind reading-ness.

I've also realized my old stories had no transitions. They were like, they were at the lake. A minute later they were at home. No mode of transportation. No thoughts running through their heads. Just POOF! and there they are. It would work if my stories were fantasy or something, but even in Harry Potter it describes the wizards' feelings while apparating and what not. I've been showed up.

Some actually weren't that painful to reread. Like "Missing Dusty" where a girl's horse runs away in the middle of the night. It was pretty terrible, but not too painful. :)

The best was "In the Woods" where a brother and sister get lost in a national park (completely fictional!) and it doesn't even say which park! And it's pretty far-fetched, but whatever. :)

Two years ago I wrote what I think is my best short story. It's called "Fingers Crossed." I'll try and post it later. :)

I keep on getting better though! (Or so I think...Couldn't get much worse, right? :)

See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment